Monday, August 10, 2009

Failure

I rely on other human beings way too much. I expect to much out of other people. I get my self worth from the praise and attention of others.
And this is my biggest failing.
The majority of my life has been spent around fellow Christians who have always looked out for me. Being the daughter of a preacher and someone who was heavily involved in the church definitely had its perks. For the first eight years of my life I was doted on by a youth group at Victory Outreach in Iuka, and then for another nine years I was safe at Orchardville. In those situations, it's so easy to get the positive feedback you're looking for from human beings.
When I moved to St. Louis I quickly learned something very important:
Human beings? Yeah, they fail.
It's true, right? We're all just failures that God has redeemed. I know that this is true in me, so why would I not realize that it's true in others as well?
I'm in the process (and maybe always will be in the process) of trusting in Jesus for my self worth. I think it's an important lesson that everyone needs to learn.
I see this a lot with girls and the opposite sex. We are so consumed with the image that we put off to them that we forget: Jesus thought so much of us that he died for us. That he, literally, loves to talk to us. Can't wait to hear what we have to say. He thinks we're beautiful when we wake up in the morning and the makeup that we spent twenty minutes applying last night is smeared across our face, the hair spray that once held perfect curls now holds matted up tangles, and the remnants of last night's perfect dinner date now lingers on our breath like last week's garbage.
After that mental picture, how can we help but wonder at the love of our saviour?

1 comment:

  1. Kasey, you know I'm not a religious person, but I've often said those who use religion for good I will never criticize. Self-worth is important and if using religion is how you obtain it, more power to you.
    My only hope is you find strength within yourself and trust yourself in case your faith ever falls apart. People often cycle through religious beliefs throughout a lifetime. I don't want to see you get hurt by your faith and have nothing else to rely on. You are beautiful. I've always said so. Don't change.

    ReplyDelete