Thursday, July 15, 2010

Trouble

John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

I love Jesus so much.

Let's set the scene. Jesus is having a last meal with his disciples and taking some time to give them some encouragement and teaching. We should pay attention, because these are Jesus' last words to his disciples before he is crucified, so, obviously, he thought it was important for him to know these things.

He tells his disciples that a time is coming when they will all be scattered when he is taken to be tried. He follows that statement up with the above verse.

The disciples surely did know trouble. John (the beloved) was the only one who didn't face a... well... violent end.

So what does that mean for us? It means that we will have trouble too. We aren't exempt. And Jordan and I are learning this important lesson right now.

Jesus also said in John 10:10 that the thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy. In other words, Satan hates you and he's going to take whatever joy he can from you. This is especially true if you are exactly where God wants you to be.

Along with a myriad of other situations, Jordan and I have been mourning the loss of a great great man this week, I have gotten a bad cold and lost my voice, I also had a terrible asthma attack, and all while trying to teach these kids about the AWESOME God that we serve. God knows that we can handle it, and by His grace we totally have gotten through it and these kids know about Jesus. So there, Satan.

We are in a war. A major war. But, the good news is: we win. And we can know that we win. Our earthly bodies will pass away, but we get to enjoy heaven eternally worshipping the God that loves us so much that he made a way for us to be joyful in Him through every single affliction!

I sure do love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment